If you are a beginner DIY crafter and want to make some impressive quality silicone molds for your crafting, here is our quick guide to help you make silicone molds like Pro. There are many methods to make Silicone molds, but this is one of the most convenient as it works well for both flat and non-flat pieces for molding. Making molds for non-flat items is often challenging when compared to flat pieces. Here is a quick guide for making molds from silicon rubber. We are using a silicone rubber that is a platinum cure because it works best with resin art. You can also use tin cure in case you don’t want to work with resin because resin may react to it and not get cured. The Liquid silicone rubber price [ยางซิลิโคน ราคา, which are the term in Thai] is affordable as silicone is cost-effective offering many benefits for crafting. It is a highly flexible, water-resistant, and perfect material for making molds. Here a few simple steps to making silicone molds like a pro.
– Materials required are liquid silicone rubber, an item that you want to clone, plastic disposable cup, knife, and clay.
– Choose your design or item that is flat or non-flat that you want to clone. Choose a liquid silicone rubber that is a platinum cure you can also go with non-food grade if you don’t want to use it for baking or cooking. Use modeling clay or plasticine clay because it will not react with silicone liquid. Make sure to use oil-based clay that will not dry out.
– Make the base with modeling clay (oil-based clay) that won’t dry. Now roll out the clay using a couple of pencils to get the uniform thickness of the clay base. Keep the thickness according to your item that you want to clone, after making the uniform base, place the piece into the clay firmly fixing the detailing side upwards.
– To make the mold container, use a disposable cup of the suitable size that is cut off from the bottom. Fix the plastic container around the item on the clay base.
– Before pouring the liquid silicone into the container, you need to know how much silicone you will need to cover the item. You will need at least 1/4 inch of extra silicone surrounding the piece. You can get the exact volume by pouring the rice into the container, now weigh the volume and use the same amount of silicone rubber to pour into the container.
– Mix the silicone according to instructions given on your pack, and pour it by the height making a thin stream, so that they are no bubbles generated. Leave it for curing; remove them by cutting the plastic container and pulling away from clay and silicone after drying, and your silicone molds are ready to use.