Mattress pad and mattress protectors are some of the accessories which are used for mattress care while both are used interchangeably. There are many differences between them and they serve different purposes too. Read below to know the difference between them and to decide whether your mattress needs a pad or a protector.
A mattress protector is a piece of fabric that is used on the surface of the mattress below the sheets. It is like a fitted sheet as it covers the mattress and as the name indicates it protects the bed from accidental spills, leaks, etc. Apart from that they also prevent the accumulation of allergens and thus prevents allergies. They are made of many different materials like cotton, polyester, etc. and all are designed to prevent liquids from entering the surface.
Benefits of using a protector
- Waterproof: One of the major uses of buying a mattress protector is that it prevents liquids from damaging the surface of the mattress. These waterproof protectors keep the bed from stains and spots due to any liquid leak and prevent the mattress warranty from getting void. Accidental spills can happen any time and thus having a waterproof mattress protector comes in handy in such situations.
- Promotes better health: During sleep, a human body sheds skins and also sweat which can collect on the mattress and attract allergens like dust mites. By using a mattress protector it acts as a barrier against these allergens and makes the bed a healthy sleeping place and prevents allergies. The allergens accumulated on the protector can be easily washed with warm water and removed.
- Additional comfort: A Mattress protector online come with fabric and materials which help in temperature regulation and thus helps you sleep better. Also, many manufacturers like Wakefit use fabric that is soft and acts as another comfort layer for your mattress thereby helping you to sleep more comfortably.
The mattress pads add extra padding to it. It is placed on the top of the mattress and lies between the bedding and the mattress. It is usually used when the mattress you are sleeping on does not provide enough comfort and adds a layer of comfort to it.
Benefits of buying a mattress pad
- Add comfort: If the bed you are sleeping on is too firm and causing sleepless nights a mattress pad made of a soft fabric reduces the firmness level and increases support
- Needs support: A sagging old mattress or a creaky one would have lost the ability to support the body because of which the sleeper suffers from aches and pain. To overcome such situations using a mattress pad adds an additional comfort layer giving the needed support to the body.
- Saves money: If you are not financially ready to make an investment on a new mattress a shortcut is to buy a good quality mattress pad which gives comfort and helps you sleep better.
- Protect the bed: If you want to protect your bed but not use a mattress protector then there are waterproof mattress pads which offers protection and comfort.
If you have a new mattress and you simply want to protect your investment then a mattress protector online India which is less expensive compared to a mattress pad is sufficient. Whereas if you have an older mattress and you are not unhappy with the support or comfort adding a mattress pad is a good option to add more life to it and make it last longer. The decision to buy a mattress pad or a protector should be based on whether you want to add comfort or to increase mattress protection.